The price of our bags is a result of them having been handmade by a human being with a personal connection to the product and its original history.
All of our products are made in collaboration with the communities who originally made them. Our tote bags and belts are made in northern Colombia, where the Wayuu people have lived for thousands of years.
Our entire product line from Guanabana is based on an ambition for social sustainability, precisely because the products also support the rich cultural heritage of the Wayuu people. Their identity is embedded in every single bag, bracelet and belt.
We have chosen Guanbana as our partner in Colombia, because their motivation for being in Colombia was to try to make a change in the artisans life's.
The artisans working with Guanabana in Colombia are not underpaid. They love working with us as partners. Some of the artisans have been working with Guanabana for 18 years, others 13 or 14 years.
8 facts about our prices.
1. The artisans set their own price once they have made a sample, afterwards we use our standard mark up.
2. Guanbana is providing work all year around to all the artisans working in Colombia. This means that even if we don’t have orders we keep ordering from them.
3. In Colombia, Guanbana has a foundation that allows the artisans to apply for credits with zero interest. They can use the credit for their own companies or for personal matters, such as paying university tuition for their children.
4. The agreed prices are reviewed and increased minimum once a year.
5. The Colombian artisans only produce high quality products with high quality raw materials which are more expensive.
6. All products we buy are invoiced, and the artisans have to pay local taxes, and therefore they charge more.
7. Our partner is cooperating with a company in Colombia, that offers courses to the artisans to educate them in ways to control costs and to operate within local laws.
8. All products are transported legally from Colombia to Europe.